FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 3, 2022
World No. 20 Tony Finau Among Latest Commitments to Valero Texas Open
Tickets to the 100th Anniversary Event Selling Out Quickly
SAN ANTONIO, TX —The Valero Texas Open today announced several more players declaring their intentions to play in the 2022 tournament, scheduled for March 31 - April 3, including Tony Finau, who is ranked 20th in the world.
Finau has two career PGA TOUR victories, both of which he won in a playoff. His most recent was in August of 2021 at The Northern Trust, the first stop on the FedExCup Playoffs, which propelled him to an 11th place finish in last season’s FedExCup standings.
The 32-year-old has accumulated ten top-10 finishes in 21 major championship starts. Two of those were last year at the Masters Tournament and PGA Championship. He has played on two Ryder Cup teams and one Presidents Cup team. His best finish in San Antonio was a third-place tie in 2017.
Joining Finau in the 100th anniversary of the Valero Texas Open are major champions Lucas Glover and Graeme McDowell, both winners of the U.S. Open. Past FedExCup champions announced today are Bill Haas and Brandt Snedeker. Nine-time TOUR winner Matt Kuchar and Texas A&M graduate Cameron Champ, who won his third title last summer, are also returning to the Valero Texas Open.
2021 champion and World No. 15 Jordan Spieth will defend his title and attempt to become the first Valero Texas Open champion to win back-to-back since recently named U.S. Ryder Cup captain Zach Johnson accomplished the feat in 2008 and 2009.
Currently, there are five players among the top 20 in the world scheduled to appear—Rory McIlroy (5), Scottie Scheffler (6), Spieth (14), Abraham Ancer (19) and Finau (20).
Several legendary players and Hall of Fame members will be on hand during tournament week to help commemorate the 100th anniversary. Deane Beman (1969 Texas Open Champion), Ben Crenshaw (1973 & 1986 Texas Open Champion), Hale Irwin (1977 Texas Open Champion), Lee Trevino (1980 Texas Open Champion) and Tom Watson (1987 Texas Open Champion) are all scheduled to appear.
Crenshaw, Trevino and Watson will be featured speakers at the tournament’s annual Night to Honor Our Heroes presented by Boeing military appreciation banquet on Friday, April 1. Sponsorships and guest tables are still available for those interested in supporting the event.
PGA TOUR players have until Friday, March 25 at 4:00 p.m. Central Time to commit and can withdraw from the 144-player field at any time.
Tickets to the Valero Texas Open are now on sale via Ticketmaster and www.ValeroTexasOpen.com. The Centennial Club hospitality venue for Saturday’s third round of competition is sold out and Sunday’s final round has limited availability. Presidential Passes, providing access to three all-inclusive hospitality venues are sold out for Saturday. As is customary, all net proceeds from the event will go to support hundreds of charity organizations throughout South Texas and well beyond.
Given the significance of this year’s historic milestone, tournament officials are planning a variety of celebratory initiatives including the following:
- Valero Texas Open 100th Anniversary Concert presents Jason Aldean and Darius Rucker: The Valero Texas Open will host a one-of-a-kind concert to celebrate the 100th anniversary on Saturday, April 2 with the three-time ACM “Entertainer of the Year,” Aldean and three-time GRAMMY award winner, Rucker. Walker County will kick off the concert following tournament play. All ticket holders attending Saturday’s third round competition will also be able to attend the concert.
- The Platinum VIP presented by Garrison Brothers is sold out.
- Limited availability remains for the upgraded Gold VIP presented by Jon Hart Design concert tickets.
- Valero Texas Open’s 19th Hole Fiesta: On Thursday, March 31 after the last putt drops, bar and concession service in the tournament’s Backyard will continue well into the evening along with backyard games and a concert featuring 80’s cover band the Spazmatics! As part of the 100th anniversary celebration patrons will also be treated to a fireworks display. The 19th Hole Fiesta, an official FIESTA® San Antonio event is included in the price of admission for all Thursday ticket holders.
- Dash to the VTO presented by Humana Military: On Saturday, March 26 the Dash to the VTO presented by Humana Military 5K and 1-mile race at TPC San Antonio will provide participants a chance to get a sneak-peek before the tournament. The race entry fee includes a chipped bib, race shirt, and access to the post-race party. Register by Friday, March 4 for guaranteed shirt size and before registration fees increase.
- It’s Been A Journey: The True Story of the Oldest Golf Tournament in Texas: Tournament officials are collaborating with award-winning sportswriter and author Kevin Robbins, to tell the story of Texas Open from its origins to present day. This incredible commemorative volume will be complete and available for purchase in time for the tournament.
- Historical Golf Course Markers: Tribute historical markers have been placed at the golf courses that have hosted the tournament through the years including Brackenridge Park, Willow Springs, Fort Sam Houston, Oak Hills Country Club and La Cantera. The final historical marker will be unveiled at TPC San Antonio the week of the tournament. These historical markers feature the writings of Kevin Robbins highlighting the tournaments contested along with the years and storied champions for each respective course.
- Commemorative Artwork: Graeme Baxter, official artist to some of the world’s most important golf tournaments such as The Ryder Cup, The Open Championship and The Presidents Cup has been commissioned to paint a commemorative lithograph of Valero Texas Open‘s tournament course, The Oaks at TPC San Antonio.
Visit www.ValeroTexasOpen.com for all tournament news, updates, information and to purchase tickets.
Valero Energy Corporation, through its subsidiaries (collectively, “Valero”), is a multinational manufacturer and marketer of petroleum-based and low-carbon liquid transportation fuels and petrochemical products, and we sell our products primarily in the United States (U.S.), Canada, the United Kingdom (U.K.), Ireland, and Latin America. We own 15 petroleum refineries located in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. with a combined throughput capacity of approximately 3.2 million barrels per day (BPD). We are a joint venture member in Diamond Green Diesel Holdings LLC (DGD), which owns a renewable diesel plant in Norco, Louisiana with a production capacity of 700 million gallons per year, and we own 12 ethanol plants located in the Mid-Continent region of the U.S. with a combined production capacity of approximately 1.6 billion gallons per year. We manage our operations through our Refining, Renewable Diesel, and Ethanol segments. Please visit www.valero.com for more information.
ABOUT VALERO IN THE COMMUNITY
Valero Energy Corporation, through its subsidiaries (collectively, “Valero”), and the Valero Energy Foundation are committed to improving the quality of life in communities where Valero has major operations. In 2021, Valero, its employees and the foundation collectively generated more than $60 million in charitable support through direct/in-kind donations, fundraising and volunteerism. Valero employees logged more than 90,000 volunteer hours in 2021 for hundreds of projects in their communities. Valero provides funding to a variety of nonprofit agencies for programs and services supporting education, basic needs, health care and civic initiatives. Through the overwhelming support of sponsors, the foundation’s signature programs, the Valero Texas Open and Benefit for Children, generated more than $22 million raised in 2022 for charities across the United States.
ABOUT THE VALERO TEXAS OPEN
The Valero Texas Open is the sixth-oldest professional tournament in golf worldwide, the third-oldest on the PGA TOUR and the longest held in the same city. In 2022, the tournament celebrated its 100th anniversary.
Its list of champions includes some of the greatest names in golf history: Walter Hagen, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Ben Crenshaw, Hale Irwin, Lee Trevino, Nick Price, Justin Leonard, Zach Johnson, Adam Scott, Jimmy Walker, Jordan Spieth, and 2022 champion J.J. Spaun to name a few.
Since Valero became title sponsor in 2002, the tournament has become a leader in charitable fundraising among PGA TOUR events. The Valero Texas Open, together with its Benefit for Children and Champions fore Charity initiatives, has contributed more than $209 million to hundreds of worthy charities since inception.. Please visit www.ValeroTexasOpen.com for more information.
Valero Texas Open
Director of Marketing & Community Relations
Valero Texas Open
Director of Media Relations