FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 4, 2021
Valero Texas Open Poised to Celebrate 100th Anniversary
Jason Aldean and Darius Rucker to Perform 100th Anniversary Concert
SAN ANTONIO, TX – A Texas-sized celebration is in the making for next year’s Valero Texas Open which will commemorate its 100th anniversary when the PGA TOUR comes to TPC San Antonio, March 28 – April 3, 2022.
In conjunction with the PGA TOUR releasing it’s 2021-22 tournament schedule yesterday, Valero Texas Open officials announced today some of the initiatives already being planned ahead of the milestone tournament, including a live concert headlined by Jason Aldean and featuring Darius Rucker to be held at TPC San Antonio following the third round of competition on April 2.
“Valero is honored to be part of the tournament’s legacy of giving back through the generous support of our business partners and sponsors,” said Joe Gorder, Valero Chairman and CEO. “With our long-standing relationship through the Valero Benefit for Children and Champions fore Charity, the tournament has helped raise more than $187 million for charities, positively impacting many lives in San Antonio and the communities where we operate across the U.S.,” added Gorder.
The Valero Texas Open is the sixth-oldest professional tournament in golf worldwide, the third oldest on the PGA TOUR and the longest to be held in the same city. It boasts a who’s who list of champions including Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Arnold Palmer, Ben Crenshaw and Lee Trevino to name just a few.
”As a Texan, winning the Valero Texas Open was incredibly special,” shared Jordan Spieth, the reigning 2021 champion. “It’s remarkable that 2022 will be the 100th anniversary of this amazing tournament, and I’m grateful to now be among the historic list of past champions.”
“We are incredibly excited to celebrate 100 years of the Valero Texas Open in a big way,” said Larson Segerdahl Executive Director of the tournament. “With such a rich and deeply rooted history here in San Antonio and the great State of Texas, we look forward to sharing this milestone with the entire community that has supported this long-standing tradition for a century.”
Tickets to the event will go on sale Thursday, September 2 via Ticketmaster and ValeroTexasOpen.com. As is customary, all net proceeds from the event will go to support hundreds of charity organizations throughout South Texas and well beyond.
Here is a sample of some of the initiatives:
- Valero Texas Open 100th Anniversary Concert presents Jason Aldean and Darius Rucker: The Valero Texas Open will host a special concert to celebrate the 100th anniversary on Saturday, April 2 with the three-time ACM “Entertainer of the Year,” Aldean and three-time GRAMMY award winner, Rucker. Walker County will kick off the concert following tournament play. All ticket holders attending Saturday’s third round competition will also be able to attend the concert.
- 100th Anniversary History of the Texas Open: Tournament officials are collaborating with award-winning sportswriter and author Kevin Robbins, to tell the story of Texas Open from its origins to present day. This incredible commemorative volume will be complete and available for purchase in time for the tournament.
- Historical Golf Course Markers: Tribute historical markers will be placed at the golf courses that have hosted the tournament through the years including Brackenridge Park, Willow Springs, Fort Sam Houston, Oak Hills Country Club, La Cantera, and TPC San Antonio. These historical markers will feature the writings of Kevin Robbins highlighting the tournaments contested along with the years and storied champions for each respective course.
- Commemorative Artwork: Graeme Baxter, official artist to some of the world’s most important golf tournaments such as The Ryder Cup, The Open Championship and The Presidents Cup has been commissioned to paint a commemorative lithograph of Valero Texas Open‘s tournament course, The Oaks at TPC San Antonio.
- Tickets: Valero Texas Open tournament and concert tickets will go on sale September 2.
Visit www.ValeroTexasOpen.com for all tournament news, updates, information and to purchase tickets.
Valero Energy Corporation, through its subsidiaries (collectively, “Valero”), is an international manufacturer and marketer of transportation fuels and petrochemical products. Valero is a Fortune 500 company based in San Antonio, Texas, and owns 15 petroleum refineries with a combined throughput capacity of approximately 3.2 million barrels per day and 13 ethanol plants with a combined production capacity of approximately 1.7 billion gallons per year. The petroleum refineries are located in the United States (U.S.), Canada and the United Kingdom (U.K.), and the ethanol plants are located in the Mid-Continent region of the U.S. Valero is also a joint venture partner in Diamond Green Diesel, which owns and operates a renewable diesel plant in Norco, Louisiana. Diamond Green Diesel is North America’s largest biomass-based diesel plant. Valero sells its products in the wholesale rack or bulk markets in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Ireland and Latin America. Approximately 7,000 outlets carry Valero’s brand names. Please visit www.valero.com for more information.
ABOUT VALERO IN THE COMMUNITY
Valero Energy Corporation, through its subsidiaries (collectively, “Valero”), and the Valero Energy Foundation are committed to improving the quality of life in communities where Valero has major operations. In 2020, Valero, its employees and the foundation collectively generated more than $58 million in charitable support through direct/in-kind donations, fundraising and volunteerism. Valero employees log close to 150,000 volunteer hours on average each year for hundreds of projects in their communities. Valero provides funding to a variety of nonprofit agencies for programs and services supporting education, basic needs, health care and civic initiatives. Through the overwhelming support of sponsors, the foundation’s signature programs, the Valero Texas Open and Benefit for Children, generated more than $16 million in net proceeds in 2021 for charities across the United States.
ABOUT THE VALERO TEXAS OPEN
The Valero Texas Open is the sixth-oldest professional tournament in golf worldwide, the third-oldest on the PGA TOUR and the longest held in the same city. In 2022, the tournament will celebrate its 100th anniversary.
Its list of champions includes some of the greatest names in golf history: Walter Hagen, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Ben Crenshaw, Hale Irwin, Lee Trevino, Nick Price, Justin Leonard, Zach Johnson, Adam Scott, Jimmy Walker and 2021 champion Jordan Spieth, to name a few.
Since Valero became title sponsor in 2002, the tournament has become a leader in charitable fundraising among PGA TOUR events. The Valero Texas Open, together with its Benefit for Children and Champions fore Charity initiatives, has contributed more than $187 million to hundreds of worthy charities since inception. Please visit www.ValeroTexasOpen.com for more information.
Valero Texas Open
Director of Marketing & Community Relations
Valero Texas Open
Director of Media Relations